This has to be one of the best lessons I have learned using my slow cooker.
My family loves chicken soup and whenever I roast a chicken during the winter I always get out my soup pot to boil the carcass and gizzard to make soup. I also buy 2-4 cartons of chicken stock every month, year round, to add to dishes such as rice, potatoes and casseroles.
Then it dawned on me. I am throwing away all this great stock every month during the warmer months! I hate heating up the kitchen to make stock but if I do it in my slow cooker overnight ….
It worked and it was super simple!
- Place the bones, gizzards, etc, from your roast chicken in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Add enough water to just cover the bones, etc…
- Turn on low and cook overnight.
- Allow to cool the next morning.
- Strain to remove bones and bits of cartilage.
- Then portion out in small resealable containers. I used about 1/2 cup servings and placed them in my freezer.