Time seems to be slipping away lately. I need to stretch the 24 hour days into 30. But, since I don’t think that is going to happen I need to work smarter not harder.
So, to that this uses frozen ravioli with a homemade sauce. Yes, you can used jarred sauce or whatever you like but I really wanted the savory taste of red wine sauce with the sausage ravioli.
My kids loved this. It had a really great savory taste and just enough sauce to be good but not over powering. Make sure to use plenty of cheese to make it gooey and yummy.
I served this with broccoli and a green salad for dinner.
- 1 lb. Italian sausage (removed from casings)
- 1 lb. Ground Beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (16 oz) cans chopped tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of dry red wine
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 2 (1 lb.) bags frozen ravioli (I used sausage but you can use cheese or other)
- 2 cups mozzarella, shredded
- 1 cup parmesan, shredded
- Brown sausage, ground beef and onion is a skillet over medium heat. Drain grease from pain when all are cooked through and put into a medium stock pot.
- Add rest of ingredients for sauce to beef, sausage, onion mix. Cook over medium heat for 45-60 minutes stirring occasionally. Taste half way through cooking time and adjust spices to suit your taste.
- Spray a 13×9 casserole dish with non-stick spray. Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.
- When sauce is cooked put 1/2 cup into the bottom of the casserole dish and spread across the bottom. Lay the frozen ravioli in a single layer with the flat side facing up. Sprinkle one cup of mozzarella across the top.
- Place another layer of ravioli over the first one with the flat sides touching so that the rounded sides of the ravioli is now facing upwards.
- Pour 1/2 cup of sauce over the top of the ravioli layer.
- Place the final layer of the ravioli on the casserole with the flat side facing up. Pour the rest of the sauce over the ravioli. Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of mozzarella over the top with the 1 cup of parmesan.
- Bake for 40 -45 minutes or until ravioli are cooked through.