I have a feeling I am going to be making lots of soups and casseroles until after Christmas. Time seems to be slipping away from me.
I am thankful that I had almost all my Christmas shopping done before Thanksgiving. I like to have it all done and wrapped by December 1st so I can enjoy the holidays without the added stress of shopping and wrapping. This year I had the gifts purchased but am just now getting around to wrapping them. The house is only 50% decorated and we are having a Christmas Party here on Friday. So, time will be spent cleaning and decorating not making fancy dinners. Simple and filling is the way to go for us this month.
I had a 1 1/2 lb. block of ground beef I just took out of the freezer so I was looking for something quick and easy that I had all the ingredients for in my refrigerator and pantry. I found this recipe for Cheesy Taco Soup from Iowa Girl Eats.com. Of course I didn’t quite have all the ingredients but made a go of it anyways.
This was amazing! The entire pot was gone at the end of dinner. Both kids had 2 big bowls and were looking for 3rds!
This has been added to our must do again list. I served the soup with taco shells and cheese sprinkled on top and a side green salad.
- 1 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 cup fat-free half and half
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- salt & pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1-3 tsp chili powder (taste and adjust spices as necessary)
- 2 cups freshly shredded cheddar cheese, plus more for topping
- 2 small cans of diced tomatoes with green chilies undrained
- Crushed tortilla chips
- Brown ground beef and onion in a large soup pot over medium-high heat, seasoning with salt and pepper, until no longer pink. Drain off grease and return meat to pot.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat then whisk in flour and cook for one minute. Slowly whisk in fat-free half and half, season with salt and pepper. Stir mixture until thickened, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat then stir in shredded cheese until smooth. Set aside.
- Add seasoning, tomatoes, cheese sauce, and chicken stock into cooked ground beef then stir well to combine. Bring to a simmer then turn heat down to medium and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring continually. If soup is too thick add additional half and half or chicken stock slowly to thin out the soup to your liking.
- Serve with crushed tortilla chips and more shredded cheese, if desired.