I am still making casseroles for dinner. This one took a bit more effort as I had to boil the chicken first. I decided to actually boil an extra serving of chicken so that I would have the chicken cooked for the next casserole. I am trying to plan ahead to keep things as simple as possible during this holiday season.
I found a recipe on Pinterest for Garlicy Chicken Casserole from Just a Pinch.com. The original recipe contained “cream of soups” so I had to do some creative substitutions but just about everything else I had on hand.
This was a hands down, lick your plate clean, hit. Both kids took this for lunch the next day. It was REALLY garlicy but flavorful and creamy. I served it over baby red potatoes but you could serve it over rice or egg noodles. Whatever you prefer.
I served the casserole with baby red potatoes and a side of green beans.
- 2 lbs. chicken breasts
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 16 oz sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 to 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder, more to taste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 TBSP butter, melted
- 1 sleeve crushed round butter crackers
- Place chicken breasts, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp salt and 1 tsp ground black pepper in a large pan. Cover chicken breasts with water. Bring chicken to a simmer over medium – high heat. Once chicken begins to simmer reduce heat to keep chicken at a slow simmer for 25 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pan once it is cooked through. Let cool and cut into bite size chunks.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl mix sour cream, mayonnaise, chicken stock, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper. Once this is thoroughly mixed add the chicken pieces and cheese to the bowl and stir until well combined. Taste mixture for spices. I added more garlic because we LOVE garlic. Adjust to your liking.
- In another bowl stir melted butter and crushed butter crackers until well mixed.
- Spread chicken mixture in a prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle top with cracker mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes until bubbly and brown. Let casserole sit for 3-5 minutes before serving.