I am not much of a baker. I LOVE to cook because it allows me to be really creative. I don’t like baking as much though because you have to be so precise in the science with baking or it may not turn out. So, I very rarely bake. Following a recipe blindly is not fun for me. I want to add a dash of this and a dollop of that….
But, my children love for me to bake a couple of times a month. I found a recipe for Amish Cinnamon Bread from Just a Pinch.com that required no starter and had very simple ingredients that I had on hand.
My children were in heaven. They ate this for breakfast for a week. I cut the loaf into slices and threw them in the freezer so they could take out a slice and put it in the microwave for breakfast. It was simple. It was tasty and I will be making this again.
I love that it was light in flavor. The cinnamon and sugar were not overpowering. I did substitute 1/2 of the sugar in the topping for brown sugar to add a bit more flavor. Other than that I left the recipe the same.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 TBSP sugar
- 3 TBSP brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a large loaf pan with non-stick spray.
- Cream together butter, sugar, and eggs.
- Add milk, flour, and baking soda
- Put 1/2 of batter (or a little less) into the prepared pan.
- Mix in separate bowl the topping ingredients.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of cinnamon mixture on top of the batter in the loaf pan.
- Add remaining batter to pan.
- Sprinkle with last of cinnamon topping. Swirl gently with a knife.
- Bake for 45-50 min. or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool for 20 minutes before removing from pan.