We are leaving in just a few days for a two-week vacation! I can’t wait. I have been following the temperatures in Orlando, Florida and although they have been colder than normal lately next week is predicted to be highs of 70-80. That is almost 100 degrees warmer than it is here right now. I will gladly take it!
We are on our third Snow/Cold Day here with no school. It’s our 7th for the month. The kids are so ready to go back to school but they will be surprised when we pick them up after school on Friday to say, “We are going to Walt Disney World!” It has been difficult keeping the secret but we only have 3 more days to get through.
To that end my refrigerator and pantry are starting to get very low. I created this recipe from what I had on hand. I will be taking a two week hiatus during our vacation but will be back to creating and cooking as soon as we come home. My family is always ready for a home-cooked meal as soon as we hit the front door.
The kids were both looking for more! They loved the cheese over the top but did ask me to do it in a larger pan next time so the meatloaf was thinner and had more sauce and cheese over it. I served this with french fries and baby peas. It would be delicious with garlic mashed potatoes too (sadly, there were no potatoes left in the house).
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs. ground beef (90% lean or higher)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup crushed round butter crackers
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 tsp. powdered garlic
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, finely shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a large loaf pan or casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- n a large bowl, combine the ground beef, eggs, breadcrumbs, thyme, oregano, basil, garlic, onion, pepper and Parmesan cheese.
- Place the mixture in the greased pan and form into a loaf. Top the meatloaf with spaghetti sauce.
- Place filled loaf pan on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove the meatloaf from the oven and sprinkle the top with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Place the meatloaf back in the oven and bake 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the meatloaf from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.