Returning home after a wonderful vacation is never easy. It was tough coming back home after two weeks away in sunny Florida.
When we left it was about O degrees, normal temperature with a windchill about -20. When we arrived in Florida they were having record tying or higher temperatures of 88-89 degrees with 90% humidity. So, we had about a 100 degree temperature adjustment. It was really tough on our bodies the first few days. But then we settled in only to come back home and go in reverse. I will never complain about the cold again but some how the cold feels even colder now.
I needed a quick dinner for the family that was going to be filling. Back to my bread maker. I made pizza dough in the bread machine while we were shoveling and unpacking. I had some hamburger in the freezer, some unopened cheese, an onion and a package of bacon. Bacon Cheeseburger Pizza it is.
Yummy! I will be making this again soon. The tomato pesto added a nice flavor with the caramalized onions. My children who say they don’t like onions loved this because of all the crispy bacon flavor.
We had just enough leftover for someone to have one slice for lunch.
Ingredients: (for one ex-large pizza or two medium)
- 1-2 pizza crusts partially pre-baked if using homemade dough
- 1 (5 oz) jar tomato pesto
- 1 large Vidalia onion, sliced thinly
- 2 TBSP butter
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 lb ground beef, cooked and broken up into small pieces
- 6 slices of bacon, cooked crispy and then crumbled
- If using homemade dough shape the dough into your pizza crust on top of a pizza stone or in a large rimmed baking sheet. Poke the top of the dough with a fork in rows across the entire pizza. Place in a 400 degree oven for 5-7 minutes to begin baking your crust.
- Remove crust from oven and deflate any large air bubbles.
- While preparing crust or if using a store purchased crust add butter to a medium-sized skillet and melt over medium-low heat. Once butter is melted add onions and allow to slowly cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Onions should be well browned.
- Spread the jar of tomato pesto evenly over the top of the pizza crust.
- Sprinkle the caramalized onions, hamburger, bacon crumbles and cheeses evenly over the top of the pizza. Remember to leave a 1/2″ of dough around the edge to avoid the toppings spilling over and burning on your pan.
- Place the pizza in the oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes until top is golden and bubbly. Allow pizza to rest for 5 minutes before cutting.