I love weekends. I wish weekends were five days long and week days were two.
We enjoy being together as a family. For Christmas this year I planned a year of family dates. I planned twelve family adventures, one for each month, and bought gift cards or put cash in envelope for each month plus a description of the outing. Last month we went to the book store so the kids could spend their Christmas gift cards and then an outing after to the South Bend Chocolate Company for hot cocoa and cheesecake. This weekend we had our February date. Because we had our trip to Walt Disney World at the beginning of the month I tried to keep this one low-key. We went to the grocery store for snacks and then snuggled upstairs around the fireplace reading books and playing games. It was great fun. Next month we are going out to dinner at the kids favorite burger joint, somewhere they never get to go, and then have ice cream after.
So back to dinner. I wanted something easy that could be whipped up in a minimal amount of time. I found the recipe for Ham and Egg Casserole from Pocket Change Gourmet.com on Pinterest. As per usual I changed it up a bit and made it a bit more Mediterranean for my family.
Everyone really liked this dish. It was flavorful and light at the same time. We had it as a late dinner as time always seems to get away from us at the end of the weekend and it was perfect for a light, late dinner.
- 1 cup fully cooked ham, cut into small pieces
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 red or orange pepper, diced
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 cup spinach, end stems removed
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and coat a 13×9 casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Cut ham and place it in a large bowl.
- Add shredded cheese, Parmesan cheese, flour, and spices to the bowl. Mix well and then pour it into the baking dish spreading it out evenly over the bottom of the pan.
- Melt the butter and pour it over ham mixture in the pan.
- In a medium skillet mix the onion, pepper and olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Allow the mixture to cook until onions begin to turn translucent. Stir occasionally.
- Once the onions begin to turn clear add the spinach to the mixture and cover the pan to wilt the spinach. Toss with tongs to stir the spinach. Once the spinach is wilted remove it from the heat.
- Pour the onion mixture into the casserole dish over the ham mixture and spread it around evenly.
- In another bowl add half and half and 12 eggs. Beat the mixture until well blended.
- Pour egg mixture over the ham mixture.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow egg bake to set for 3-5 minutes before cutting.