My daughter does not like rice. I am trying every way I can to cook it so she will eat it. I have tried brown rice, white rice, rice mixes. I have cooked it with spices, chicken stock, beef stock and tried putting stuff like corn, peppers, onions in it. She will grudgingly eats a bit of it so I am do not push it. She eats her veggies and protein so I really can’t complain.
But, I tend to cook quite a few dishes with rice in them so I guess she will get over it eventually.
I found this recipe for Crockpot Honey Garlic Chicken on Who Needs a Cape.com. The original recipe called for chicken thighs and drumsticks but all I had were chicken breasts. My chicken shredded but I also left it in the slow cooker for almost 9 hours. I love these fix it and forget it dishes!
My daughter actually ate two servings of the chicken and a bit of the rice with the sauce over it. It was a nice flavorful dish. Both kids really liked the sauce saying it was sweet but different.
I served this dish with a side of steamed broccoli and a plate of cut up vegetables. This would also be good mixed with steamed vegetables.
- 3 chicken breasts
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp oregano
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup honey barbecue sauce, I used Sweet Baby Ray’s Honey Barbecue
- 1/4 cup honey
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Spray the inside of your slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Place chicken breasts in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Mix spices, soy sauce, ketchup, barbecue sauce, and honey in a small bowl. Pour the barbecue mixture over chicken.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours. Allow mixture to cool a bit before serving.