Our family had a Snow Day yesterday. It was wonderful. We all needed that day to kind of put ourselves back together. Things have been so busy that everything was just a bit off and the forced down time let us put everything back in order. Now, if we could only find my son’s winter jacket, sigh. But that is for another day.
I have wanted to try this recipe since I first saw it on Pinterest. I am always looking for one pan dinners that are easy to make. This recipe for Tortellini & Sausage in Tomato Cream Sauce from Yellow Bliss Road.com seemed to be everything I was looking for.
I needed to add some spices for my families taste but loved the ease of the recipe.
This was a nice, warm, comfort dinner on a cold, windy night. The kids were pleased with the cheesy flavor and the bit of extra kielbasa I added in.
I served this with green beans and garlic as a side.
- 1 1/2 lb. package of Kielbasa, sliced into thin slices
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 (20 oz) package of frozen cheese tortellini, thawed
- 1 (28 oz.) can pureed tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups shredded cheese (I used mozzarella and Monterey Jack)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cooked until they soften and begin to turn translucent about 3-4 minutes.
- Add kielbasa to pan and cook until it begins to brown.
- Add the tomato puree, chicken stock, garlic, oregano and basil to the skillet. Stir often. Bring this mixture to a boil.
- Turn the heat down to low and add the tortellini to the pan and allow it to simmer for about 10-15 minutes until pasta is warmed through.
- Remove pan from heat. Add cream cheese and 1/2 of shredded cheese. Stir well until cream cheese is melted. Taste and adjust spices or add salt and pepper as needed.
- Sprinkle the other half of the cheese over the top of the pasta and place a cover on the skillet.
- Let rest for 3-5 minutes until cheese melts.