Mondays are always the worst day of the week in our house. It just seems to be hard to get the motivation going to start the week ahead. I usually try to not schedule any appointments or meetings on Mondays because I just cannot get moving. But, because our schedules are extra busy right now we had a dentist appointment and a private dance lesson scheduled.
I need a To-Go dish and fast! I had to have dinner in the dishes by 4:00 pm so we could be heading out the door. We would not be returning home until after 8:00 pm and the kids would be starving by then. I try to do drive-thrus as little as possible so I needed something quick.
I started digging through the refrigerator and freezer to see what I could come up with. Cooked ground beef, onions, peppers (just about to go bad) I am thinking soup or Philly Cheesesteaks!
I have made Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes in the past but what if I tried something similar in the slow cooker? I didn’t want it as saucy or tomatoey (that is obviously not a word) but more savory than the Sloppy Joes. Let’s see how this goes.
This turned out better than I imagined. There was not a drop left in the slow cooker by the end of the night. It was savory, cheesy and yummy!
I served this with a spinach salad on the other side of our to go dishes.
- 1 – 1 1/2 lbs. ground beef, lean (may be pre-cooked and frozen – just thaw before adding to slow cooker)
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 medium peppers (I used one red, one yellow – but whatever you have on hand is fine), sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced thinly
- 1 TBSP corn starch
- 2 – 3 TBSP Worcestershire sauce, divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 8 oz. provolone cheese, shredded
- 6 good quality rolls
- If you beef is not pre-c0oked brown the ground beef breaking it up as it cooks with the back of a spoon. Half way through cooking add the garlic to the pan. Cook until beef is well browned.
- Drain any remaining fat from pan and place ground beef in a large bowl. If you have pre-cooked your beef add the garlic at this point.
- Add the sliced peppers and onions to the bowl with the meat. Sprinkle with the cornstarch and stir well to distribute the cornstarch over all the items in the bowl.
- Spray the inside of the slow cooker bowl with non-stick spray.
- Add the ground beef and pepper mixture to the slow cooker.
- Pour the stock, salt, pepper and 2 TBSP of Worcestershire sauce over the meat. Stir well.
- Heat on low for 3-4 hours. Stir well and taste. Add more Worcestershire or salt as needed.
- 15 minutes prior to serving, remove cover and place cheese over the top of the meat and peppers. Cover and allow to continue to cook until cheese has melted.
- Use a slotted spoon to serve on rolls.
One Comment Add yours