Ever have one of those days? Well, this is it for me. After dance class last night I came home and we had dinner, helped the kids with their homework, took a ride down by the beach to watch the sunset. It was a really great evening.
This morning I get up and can’t find my car keys anywhere. This is the second set of car keys I have lost in 3 weeks! I searched everywhere. My son couldn’t get to school because I couldn’t get him to the bus stop across town. I was supposed to volunteer at the book fair, can’t get to the school. Of course, this is also the day that my other half is in Chicago at a seminar so I have no one to call for backup. I finally called the mom of my daughter’s best friend to ask her to please just get my son to school. So at 10:30 am he is off to school. We won’t discuss how he is getting home yet but I hope to have found at least one set of car keys by then.
So, for dinner last night….
You know I love my slow cooker. I found a recipe on Pinterest yesterday for Dutch Oven Moroccan Chicken from Just a Pinch.com that looked really delicious. But, knowing me and the time crunch we are under lately I knew I needed to figure out a way to adapt it for the slow cooker. I also wanted to make it an entire meal, other than adding a green salad, so that I wouldn’t have to worry about making a side dish after coming home from dance classes.
This was my first attempt.
Well, there was not a bit left in the slow cooker at the end of dinner. I thought the chicken was a bit dry but the rest of the family ate it up. It had a great blend of spices and was very flavorful. My son was skeptical of sweet potatoes with Moroccan spices but I got him to try it and he ate two plates of it.
I served it with a simple green salad and it was a really good simple meal.
- 1 full chicken breast, butterflied
- 2 extra-large sweet potatoes, cut into 6ths
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into 8ths
- 8 oz. baby carrots
- 1 red pepper, large chop
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Spray bowl of slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Layer sweet potatoes in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Spread baby carrots over the sweet potatoes.
- Layer the red pepper over the baby carrots
- Lay the onion over the red pepper.
- Place the chicken in a flat layer on top of the onion.
- Mix vegetables stock, honey and lemon juice in a small bowl. Mix well and then pour over the chicken.
- Mix cinnamon, paprika, salt, pepper, ginger and garlic powder in a small bowl until well combined. Rub 2/3 of the mixture into the chicken. Sprinkle the remaining 1/3 over the vegetables.
- Cook on low for 6 hours or until chicken is cooked through.