I am not an adventurous eater. I think I want to make my children better about tasting new foods because I am so reluctant to do so. I never ate broccoli until I was in college. I found out I LOVED it if it is cooked properly. But, it was green, smelled funny and no one made me try it so I never did until everyone around me thought that was strange that I had never had broccoli or Chinese food.
Pineapple Salsa is one of those foods for me. I love regular salsa but fruit salsa? That just sounded too weird for me.
But, we had ham steaks and I needed something to go with them so I found a recipe for Pineapple Salsa from SteakNPotatoesKindaGurl.blogspot.com. It seemed fairly simple and something I could add to our ham steak.
I am so happy I tried this. I did alter the recipe a bit for our family. None of us like cilantro and usually think it tastes like soap so I skipped it in this dish. My daughter thought it was a bit too spicy and didn’t like the onion flavor but the rest of us loved it! I will definitely be adding this side to other dishes.
I served our grilled ham steak and pineapple salsa with garlic mashed potatoes and broccoli.
- 1 lb. ham steak
- 2 cups pineapple, diced
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 jalapeno, cleaned, seeds removed and finely diced
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- salt to taste
- Heat indoor grill or out-door grill for ham steak.
- Mix pineapple, onion, jalapeno, lime juice and salt in a small glass bowl until well combined. Cover and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Grill ham steak until warmed through.
- Serve ham steak with pineapple salsa over the top.