This was another night where dinner needed to be on the table rather quickly and all I had in the refrigerator for meat was thawed ground beef. My children know I do not make plain old hamburgers so I had to think quickly.
I found one tomato, some mozzarella, spices and left over mini sub rolls. My daughter is in love with all kinds of vinegars right now. Balsamic vinegar and tomato would be perfect for dinner tonight. I had 2 cucumbers and an onion to make marinated cucumber salad to accompany our dinner.
It was delicious. My daughter was dipping mozzarella in the balsamic vinegar before dinner and eating all the tomatoes from the bowl! Both children ate two burgers, marinated cucumber salad and brown baked beans happily.
- 1 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 sleeve butter crackers, finely crushed
- 2 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 3 TBSP balsamic vinegar, good quality
- 1 TBSP basil, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 4 sub rolls, split into 8 rolls
- butter for rolls
- Mix tomato, balsamic vinegar, basil and salt and pepper to taste in a small bowl until well combined. Set aside.
- Preheat grill to cook hamburgers. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix ground beef, cracker crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, black pepper, onion powder and milk in a bowl. Using hands mix to combine all ingredients well.
- Form ground beef mix into 8 hamburger patties.
- Place the patties on the grill and cook to desired doneness.
- While the hamburgers are cooking spread butter over the inside of the rolls and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Place in oven for 5-6 minutes until browned and crispy. Watch them carefully so they don’t over cook or burn!
- Remove buns from the oven and hamburgers from the grill.
- Assemble a burger by placing it on a bun with mozzarella cheese on top of the hamburger. Use the tomato basil mixture on top of the cheese and place the bun top on the tomato mixture.