I did not get a chance to post yesterday. My partner had a simple procedure but it took much longer and was a bit more involved than we originally thought. So, what was meant to be a simple 2-3 hour thing turned into a half day. Then it was physical therapy for my daughter, dance and then home at 7:00 pm. Just about 12 hours after I left. We had dinner on the table within 30 minutes but there was no time to write about the Garlic Chicken Pesto Pizza we had the other night.
My daughter has been asking for Pesto pizza since she found a jar in the pantry. She loves pesto especially on pizza. To help change it up a bit I had one chicken breast hanging out in my freezer that I quite didn’t know what to do with. I decided to add it to the pizza to bulk it up a bit.
This is not a good picture of a really tasty dish. Poaching the chicken in garlic gave an extra punch to the flavor. Both kids really loved this and I made 2 pizzas so I had enough leftovers for lunch to that everyone could have some the next day.
I served this with a spinach salad.
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 TBSP powdered garlic
- 1 jar of prepared pesto (about 2/3 – 3/4 cup)
- 4 oz mozzarella, shredded
- 2 oz Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 (14″) round pizza crust, homemade or prepared, pre-baked 6 minutes with no toppings if homemade
- Poach chicken before preparing the pizza. To a 4 qt. sauce pan add 2 qts. water with the powdered garlic and chicken breast. Bring to a slow boil over medium heat until chicken is cooked through 10 -12 minutes. Depending on the thickness of your chicken breast. Cut open at thickest part of the breast to check for doneness. Remove chicken from pan.
- When chicken has cooled chop into 1/2″ bits.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spread the pesto over the crust leaving a 1/4″ of crust around the edge not covered by the pesto.
- Sprinkle the chicken evenly over the pesto sauce.
- Add the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese to the top of the pizza being careful not to go past the edge of the pesto sauce or the cheese may melt and burn in your oven.
- Place pizza on stone or pan and bake for 10 to 12 minutes until cheese has melted and starting to turn brown at edges.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest 5 minutes before serving.