This was a fun meal that turned out much better than I thought it would. A few weeks ago our local grocery store had a sale on all beef hot dogs. So, of course I bought four packages (won’t be on sale again for 4-6 weeks!). Then I had to think of ways to make them unique and different because I just couldn’t make plain old hot dogs.
So, with the kids helping we created our Taco Hot Dogs. I made a toppings bar with all the kids favorites and they love meals where they can pick and choose toppings. One likes onions, the other doesn’t. I don’t like olives so I leave them off my hot dogs. It was a fun meal that everyone helped with. The kids shredded cheese, cut tomatoes and olives while I made the taco meat. My partner grilled the hot dogs and tortillas. It was fun making a meal together.
Fun, tasty and fairly easy to make. With help getting all the taco fixings chopped and put in bowls dinner was on the table in about 30 minutes. These are the meals I love.
I served this with cut up carrots, cucumbers and radishes.
- 8 hot dogs, your favorite brand
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 small flour tortillas, may use corn if you wish
- olive oil
- all your favorite taco toppings such as: shredded cheese, diced onions, diced peppers, sliced olives, lettuce, diced tomatoes, sour cream, salsa, taco sauce….
- Brown ground beef in a skillet over medium-high heat. While cooking break into small pieces with the back of a spoon. Once beef is fully cooked remove from heat and drain off grease from pan.
- Return pan with beef in it to the stove and reduce heat to medium-low. Add 1/2 cup of water, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper to the meat. Stir until well combined.
- Begin cooking hot dogs on grill. As hot dogs finish cooking place in warm oven, 170 degrees, to keep warm until ready to serve.
- Allow meat to cook in the spices 5-10 minutes until all water is absorbed.
- Brush tortillas lightly with olive oil and grill for about 1 minute per side until they start to brown.
- Serve tortillas topped with hot dog, taco meat and choice of toppings.