This didn’t get posted yesterday because I had food poisoning. I couldn’t believe it. I still can’t. I knew when I looked at the words someone used to search my blog and saw Barbecue Beef Cowboy Casserole and started getting sick again there was no way I was doing anything with food.
We went to a wedding, a deli and ate Chinese food out the previous 24 hours before I got sick. I am pretty sure it is one of those three places because we eat out so rarely for me to eat out three times in 24 hours is highly unusual. Today I am still queasy but I need to get my butt out of bed and back to work!
I have a kitchen sink! Yes! I have never been so excited. I never thought just being without a kitchen sink for one week would throw such a monkey wrench into everything in our every day life. We all reached to get water, rinse a dish or set a dirty pan into the sink but couldn’t.
This recipe was one large pot (I wiped it out in between cooking the rice and the beef), a large bowl, a casserole dish and a spoon. More than I wanted to use but we made it through.
Also, that it is the end of the month means I have to be a bit more creative because some of my staples are running low. We get paid once a month so our grocery budget is shot until today. No running out and buying a can of this or a bit of that!
This started as a traditional ground beef and rice casserole that I experimented with a bit.
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef, lean (this dish is also extra yummy with Italian Sausage instead of ground beef)
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 onions, finely diced
- 1 red or orange pepper, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 (14 oz) can petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups cooked long grain rice (such as Lundberg Rice Mixtures)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups sour cream
- 3 cups shredded cheese (I used a mixture of mozzarella and sharp cheddar)
- salt, pepper, oregano
- you can also add a can of drained corn or frozen peas before baking if desired
- Parmesan Cheese if desired for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13 x 9 casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- In a large pot or skillet over medium heat add olive oil, peppers and onions. Allow onions and peppers to cook about 5 minutes before adding ground beef and garlic to the pan. Turn heat up to medium high.
- Break ground beef apart with the side of the spoon as it cooks. Drain off any fat when it is completely cooked through.
- Return pan to stove and turn temperature down to medium. Flavor the dish with salt, pepper and oregano to your tastes.
- Add rice, tomatoes, 1 cup of cheese and broth to the pan. If you are using corn or peas now would also be the time to add them. Allow to simmer slowly for 5 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into the casserole dish and begin baking. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Mix the remaining 2 cups of cheese with the sour cream in a bowl.
- After the casserole has baked 15 minutes spread the cheese and sour cream mixture over the top of the casserole. Bake for 15-20 minutes until casserole is bubbly and heated through.
- Serve with grated Parmesan Cheese on the side if desired.