We have been eating tons of chicken breasts lately. Our local grocery store had them on sale for $1.49 a pound for skinless, boneless breasts. So of course I bought 30 pounds. That price is unheard of around here. Usually I can get them for $2.29 a pound on sale and once in a while $1.99 a pound but $1.49 a pound is unheard of!
I have been searching websites and Pinterest looking for inspiration for dinners to make serving chicken 3-4 nights a week interesting and not boring. I found this recipe for Parmesan Chicken Fingers with Garlic Cheese Sauce from Pinch of Yum.com on Pinterest.
It looked fairly easy and something I could make in less than an hour for dinner. So, I decided to give it a try.
The garlic cheese sauce was a hit! I would make this over and over just to eat the cheese sauce. The chicken tenders were good but not overly “special.” I will add more spices to the bread crumb mixture next time to give them some oomph but over all this was a good solid meal that my kids loved.
I served this with a steamed cauliflower and broccoli mixture and a green side salad.
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 cup flour
- 2 beaten eggs
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese (for chicken)
- Oil for frying + parsley for garnish
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- a splash of milk
- 2 teaspoon powdered garlic
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 oz good quality shredded Parmesan (for sauce)
- Cut the chicken into strips. Mix together the bread crumbs and Parmesan in a shallow bowl.
- Put the flour, egg, and crumb mixture in individual shallow bowls. Dust each strip of chicken with flour, then dip into the beaten egg, and then roll in the crumb mixture. Coat all the pieces of chicken before you start frying.
- Pour oil in a large skillet or frying pan until it’s 1 1/2″ inches deep (enough to cover the chicken on one side). Heat over medium low heat until a drop of water sizzles in it. If it starts to smoke it is too hot and immediately turn down the heat and remove the oil from the burner to cool down a bit.
- Add the chicken in batches and fry for 1-3 minutes each side until they are golden brown. Make sure the chicken tender is cooked completely through.
- Remove the chicken from oil with tongs and place on a paper towel lined plate to drain the oil. Let cool slightly.
- For the cheese sauce: Melt the cream cheese in a microwave safe bowl for about 30 seconds. Whisk in the milk, garlic, and oil until smooth. When smooth, add the cheese. Melt for another 20-30 seconds and whisk again until totally smooth, adding more milk to thin out the sauce to the desired consistency.