January is a “No Buy” month in our house. Except for fresh produce and dairy, which I am trying to keep to a minimum, I want to complete the first of my clean out the freezer challenges for the year and try to save money towards vacation. So, the first thing I found in my freezer was a bag of peas and carrots, a bag of chicken cut into cubes and 2 leftover pie crusts from Christmas.
This was an easy meal to create Traditional Chicken Pot Pie. I have made this a few other times and vary the vegetables by what I have on hand. You can add diced potatoes, leave out vegetables you don’t like or make it with other meats.
I know my freezer will get more challenging as the month goes on – that package of mystery meat and okra that you have to use. I love cooking this month!
This was everything you would expect in a chicken pot pie. It was creamy, comforting and homey. It left you feeling hugged by your food. It brings back old-fashioned memories of a warm kitchen on a cold winter night. Perfect.
I served this with a green salad on the side.
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves – cubed
- 1 (16 oz) bag frozen pea and carrot mix
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 2/3 cup butter plus 2 TBSP divided
- 1 onion, diced
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cup fat-free half and half
- 1 beaten egg white
- 2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare bottom crust by spreading in an 8×8 pan to fit all sides. Brush crust with egg white and bake for 7 minutes. Remove pan from oven to cool.
- In a large skillet or saucepan melt 2 TBSP of butter over medium heat. Add the chicken, onion, celery, peas and carrots to saute until chicken has cooked through and vegetables are tender. Once the chicken is cooked through and veggies are tender remove from heat and set aside.
- In a second saucepan or skillet melt the 2/3 cup of butter over medium heat. Once it is fully melted sprinkle the flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder over the butter and beat with a spoon until very thick and slightly golden in color.
- Add the chicken broth to the saucepan and continue stirring constantly until the flour mixture is fully incorporated and smooth.
- Add the fat-free half and half and allow it to simmer until your desired thickness is achieved.
- Taste the sauce and adjust spices as necessary.
- Mix the gravy mixture and chicken mixture together.
- Pour into the 8×8 pan. Cover the dish with the second pie crust. Add slits to vent. Brush top crust with egg white.
- Place aluminum foil or a baking sheet on the rack under this dish. It may overflow a bit.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until center is set and top is golden brown. Allow dish to set for 5 minutes before serving.