The weather still is yucky here and it seems like it is not going to return to “normal” any time soon. The high temperatures don’t even break half of what the average normal temperatures are supposed to be this time of year. Each day I hear the meteorologist say, “There is no end in sight to our cold snap.”
I am hibernating. I don’t venture out unless I absolutely have to. Even then I plan to spend as little time as possible outdoors. I go to my car in the garage and drive where ever I need to go. Run in and run out. I need sunshine and warmth! I did so well when we were in Florida. Only 20 years to retirement, right?
Things are slowly returning to normal in our house. Last night was the first night that I felt like I could actually cook dinner and not be sick. It felt good to be in the kitchen. I kept it simple just in case I needed my family to take over in the middle of cooking.
I love chicken and rice. I don’t like all the cream of soups, sour cream and sometimes mayonnaise that go into making the creamy cheesy dishes. So, I made one that isn’t exactly creamy but has tons of flavor and all the cheesy flavor we love. This is made with items you probably already have in your pantry or refrigerator and it cooks in one pan!
This was a hit with just about everyone. My daughter still doesn’t like rice so she picked out the chicken and broccoli. Everyone else had seconds and my son wanted thirds! There were two lunch servings leftover and they were quickly claimed for lunches today.
I served this with a plate of cut vegetables – cucumbers, red peppers, cherry tomatoes and carrots.
The best part of this dish for my mostly gluten-free son is that it was entirely gluten-free. He didn’t have to have a separate dish and he really prefers to eat what we eat when he can.
- 1 1/2 lb. chicken breasts cut into cubes
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a large skillet over medium heat cook 1 tablespoon of olive oil and onions until they are softened.
- Add chicken cubes and garlic to the pan and continue to cook until chicken is browned and cooked through. Salt and pepper chicken as needed.
- Push all of the chicken and onions to one side of the pan. Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and the brown rice. Saute’ the brown rice in the olive oil for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock to the pan, stir well then lower heat to medium low once the chicken stock starts to simmer. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and stir the rice, chicken and stock. Add broccoli florets to the pan.
- Cover and simmer 8-10 minutes until broccoli is cooked and the rest of the chicken stock is absorbed by the rice.
- Add 1/2 cup of cheese to the chicken and rice and stir well. Remove pan from the burner. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Sprinkle the 1 cup of cheese over the top of the dish and cover to melt cheese.
- Serve once cheese is melted and dish has sat 3-4 minutes.