We miss the huge parties we used to have back in Rochester. We would invite all our friends to our house for a Christmas Open House or to a cabin in the parks for our Annual Sledding Party. We would have 90-120 people throughout the day and it was always so much fun!
We would make big pots of soup, platters of appetizers and have slow cookers plugged in all over the cabin. This recipe sounded like something we would have made for those parties and something I could use now for our football game days.
I had a free jar of Cheez Whiz from a sale at the grocery store. I don’t think I have ever had Cheez Whiz. But, it was free! This seemed like a good recipe to use it in.
I never use cream of soups or Cheez Whiz in our house so this was kind of fun for all of us. Everyone liked the dish and it was really tasty but I would probably make it for my family with a cream sauce and cheddar cheese next time. But, for a crowd this is the easiest way to make a large vat of soup.
My son had trouble with the texture of the soup because it was a cream soup that had nothing to really chew in it. He ended up eating the garlic bread for dinner but the rest of us happily ate his share.
- 2 large heads of broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 (15 oz.) jar of Kraft Cheez Whiz
- 3 (15 oz.) cans of cream of celery soup (can use low-fat or fat-free)
- 3 cups of half and half (can use fat-free)
- Mix all ingredients in the slow cooker.
- Heat on high for 3-4 hours or low 6 hours.
- Stir a few times during cooking. If too thick, thin it out with a bit of half and half. Serve with garlic bread or bread for dipping.