We were working with one car this past week. In a larger city it wouldn’t be so bad. Buses, taxis, even friends would be able to help us. But after our car was towed Monday night were still waiting for them to fix/replace the fuel pump on Friday. Really, it takes this long? But, in a small town there are not many choices. So, we were stuck. It is my partner’s busy season so life is crazy anyways. We have missed 3 dance, lessons, a volunteering committment and a Feis this weekend. That is the one that hurts the most.
So, I haven’t been able to run to he store to pick up any items I don’t have to cook with. It makes me be extra creative when making substitutions for things I want to cook. With my partner working 7 am or 8 am to 10 pm or 11 pm there is little to no time for grocery store runs.
I had eggs that I needed to use. I decided that it was going to be breakfast for dinner night. Searching though my freezer I found one package of smoked sausage and a bag of tater tots! I felt like I won the lottery.
This is a great recipe to make earlier in the day and let it sit until you are ready to bake it. Just don’t add the Tater Tots until you are ready to bake. You could also add veggies with the meat if you wish. Mushrooms, peppers, onions or broccoli would be especially tasty,
Everyone thought this was a nice, hearty dinner. It was simple to make and baked in about an hour.
For my mostly gluten-free son he was happy because the entire meal was gluten-free.
I served this with a side of mixed fruit salad.
- 1 (12 oz) package of smoked sausage links, cut into thin 1/4 slices
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup half and half (can be fat-free)
- 1 (32 oz) bag Tater Tots
- salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13 x 9 casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Spread the sausage evenly in the bottom of the pan.
- Cover sausage with cheese.
- Beat eggs and half and half together with a bit of salt and pepper. Pour over cheese and meat.
- At this point you can refrigerate until ready to bake or cover now with Tater tots and bake.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Check that the middle of the casserole is set and the top is golden brown. Bake up to 15 minutes additional as needed.
- Remove from oven and allow to set 5 minutes before serving.