Cut outs are like the quintessential Christmas cookies. I have so many different recipes for cut outs from my Grandma’s White Cookies which produce a puffy light cookie to Gingerbread cut outs that are crisp and fragrant. We all have different things we look for in cut outs.
When I first thought about making these I was a bit hesitant because I detest eggnog. Yes, the holiday beverage of choice for many in not mine. But, these don’t actually have eggnog in them rather the nutmeg and cinnamon give the cookies the flavor of an eggnog.
These cut outs are best for simple shapes such as bells, stars, trees. They did puff up a bit and spread just a little bit but still held their basic shapes. The flavor is the standout of these cookies. Just a little bit of spice really makes them stand apart from an ordinary vanilla cut out.
Top with your choice of cream cheese frosting and sprinkles as you wish.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large beaten eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 1/8 tsp + nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp + cinnamon
- Cream butter until light and fluffy. Slowly add sugar to the butter while continue to beat.
- Blend the eggs in until well incorporated.
- Stir in the flour and spices. Dough will be very stiff but make sure all flour is well combined. If desired add more nutmeg and cinnamon to taste.
- Store overnight in a covered container.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees when ready to bake.
- Roll our cut outs to 1/4″. Place cut outs on a greased cookie sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes until edges are brown and cookies are straw-colored.
- Remove from baking sheet and allow to cool before decorating.