Lately I have been searching for new ideas and recipes online from some other smaller bloggers. I love reading people ideas and cultural traditions surrounding food. I have found some great bloggers on WordPress.com who are also become great online encouragers and friends.
This recipe comes from Cooking for the Time Challenged – Schwarma Spice Blend Hamburgers & The Attack By the Burger Intruder. (Click link for original recipe.) As many of you know I highly encourage everyone to take recipe and make it your own. Use recipes as a guideline, especially in cooking, so that it is something your family will eat. Don’t blindly follow a recipe that says 4 tablespoons of Cayenne Pepper if your family doesn’t like spicy foods. Start with a little bit and add it to suit your tastes. So, I changed this recipe a bit for my family.
This was AMAZING! If you like Shwarma then you will love this burger. The kids were amazed at the smells even before we cooked the meat. I mixed the meat and let it sit in the refrigerator for a few hours to let everything mix together. By the time I took the meat out to cook everyone was anticipating the taste just from the smell of the spices.
I served this with a choice of pita or Flatout bread, garlic sauce, tomatoes, onions, lettuce, feta, and cucumbers for toppings and a side of green beans.
We had enough leftovers for 2 lunch servings the next day.
Shwarma Burgers with Garlic Sauce
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon powdered garlic
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- garnishes such as lettuce, tomatoes, diced onions, garlic sauce (recipe below), and Feta cheese, as desired
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons powdered garlic (this makes a VERY heavy garlic sauce, you may wish to begin with one tablespoon and add to taste)
- dash of salt
- Mix ground beef and spices in a medium bowl. Thoroughly mix meat and spices together. Cover bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Mix Garlic Sauce ingredients together. Stir well and then cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to cook heat grill pan or George Foreman Grill. Form ground beef into small uniform sized patties for even cooking. Do not over crowd pan while cooking burgers.
- Cook burgers 5-10 minutes until cooked through.
- Remove burgers from pan and serve hot. Serve with sliced pita, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, Feta cheese, and garlic sauce as desired.