So, how are those New Year resolutions coming along? Despite the cold, dark days recently I am keeping to my word to let JOY lead me this year. Despite the weather and the pain I have been in due to severe arthritis I am trying to make the most of my days. I am doing the things that make me smile. Maybe it’s a cup of coffee while watching my favorite television show, reading a chapter of my favorite book or sitting down and writing my next blog post but whatever I choose it is with JOY!
We are preparing for the end of the semester here. That means finals in classes for my daughter and mid-terms and SATs for my son are right around the corner. So, what is normally a busy time is getting even busier in our house.
Have I said lately how much I love my slow cooker? I do! Tuesday and Thursdays are the worst nights for us as we have too many things crammed into those nights. Those are the nights that my slow cooker is my hero. But, I use it other nights of the week as well! We had chicken strips defrosting in the refrigerator and I asked my daughter what she would like for dinner. Chicken Parm. Hmmm. Can I make this in my slow cooker and make it taste good? YES!
I wasn’t sure if I would like this dish or even if it would work. I don’t particularly care for slow cooker meat that is shredded and dry and that seems to be what many slow cooker dishes are if you are not careful. The meat in this dish was just on the verge of falling apart but could be carefully taken out using a large spoon. The flavor was good and tasted like Chicken Parmigiana. My kids loved the cheese layer under the sauce.
I served this meal with a side of pasta, extra sauce, green beans and a green side salad.
Slow Cooker Chicken Parmigiana
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs. chicken breast, cut into 2″ wide strips
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce, favorite jar or homemade sauce
- Parmesan cheese, grated, and parsley if desired for garnish
- Spread olive oil in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Beat egg and pour into a shallow bowl or plate.
- Mix bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, basil, onion powder and oregano on a second plate.
- Coat each chicken strip with egg and then roll in bread crumbs until completely coated. Carefully place chicken strip in the bottom of the slow cooker. Repeat this step with each chicken strip. Completely cover the bottom of the slow cooker with chicken strips before layering a second layer over the top if needed.
- Pour the mozzarella cheese over the chicken strips but leave a 1/2″ ring around the edge of the slow cooker with no cheese. The cheese will burn if left for too long touching the edge of the slow cooker.
- Pour the jar of sauce to completely cover the chicken and cheese.
- Cover and cook on low 6 hours.
- Serve hot with spaghetti if desired.