It’ been a strange weekend. On Friday my daughter Irish danced in Battle Creek. It was fun because we got to spend the entire day together just having fun. We went out to lunch at an AMAZING brewery, Acadia Brewing Company, and then later we stopped for dinner in Kalamazoo.
The shooting over the weekend in Kalamazoo was in an area that we pass through 2-4 times a week on the way to my daughter’s dance studio. We had been in that area exactly 24 hours before the shooting. It is one of those things that make you pause and think of all the “What-Ifs” in life. What if he had started this a day earlier? What if he went to the restaurant where we ate dinner instead of Cracker Barrel? Too much to think about. Then we found out the 18 year-old boy was a classmate of one of the girls from dance. So, sad.
This is an area where we generally feel very safe. It is shocking when you are jarred back into “reality.” The rest of the weekend was spent letting family and friends know we were safe and our area is okay.
The other night called for comfort food. Creamy sauce, noodles and tuna it is. The great part about this recipe is you can add peas, carrots, broccoli or whatever vegetables you like to the dish. You can spice it up with a bit of Cayenne pepper and paprika mixed in with the topping or additional garlic in the sauce. It is all up to you. This is just the beginning recipe. Where it goes is entirely up to you!
Considering there were only 2 smallish lunch servings left at the end of the meal I would say this was a hit. It was warming to our insides and our souls. Sometimes you just need those meals that make you feel warm and comforted inside.
We served the meal with a side of broccoli.
Grown-Up Tuna Casserole
- 1 (12 oz) bag of extra wide egg noodles
- 3 (6 oz) cans of albacore tuna, drained
- one medium onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup celery, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 1/2 cups fat-free half and half
- 1 tablespoon Morton Nature’s Seasoning
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter (for topping)
- 1 cup vegetables, your choice if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13 x 9 casserole dish.
- Boil egg noodles according to package directions until al dente and then drain.
- If you are using a vegetable add in, other than the celery and onions, cook them until just tender.
- Mix tuna, noodles and vegetable (if desired) in a large bowl.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat melt 1/4 cup of butter. Add onions and celery to pan and allow to cook, stirring occasionally, until both have started to soften.
- Sprinkle flour over the butter, celery and onion mixture. Stir well. Add half and half to pan and continue to stir until sauce thickens 5-8 minutes. Remove from heat and add Parmesan cheese and Morton Nature’s Seasoning. Stir until well combined.
- Pour sauce over noodles in the bowl and stir well.
- Pour contents of bowl into the prepared casserole dish.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in microwave and stir with bread crumbs. Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the top of the casserole.
- Bake for 20 minutes until casserole is bubbly and starting to brown on top. Allow to rest 5 minutes before serving.