I love Social Media. I am on Twitter (@koolaidmoms2), Facebook (What’s for Dinner Moms?), Instagram (@Koolaidmoms) and Pinterest (Koolaidmoms). Click on any of the links to be connected to me in social media. It is fast paced and ever-changing. I am constantly finding new groups and new ideas not only for recipes, but travel, home and life.
But, there is also a downside. The fast paced interactions mean that I feel that I have to answer everything immediately. It seems that there is never a down time. Even when people don’t say they need an answer immediately I feel the need to get it done now. Every time I hear the little ping of my phone I can’t help but want to reach for it. It can be tiring. I have to move my phone away from my bed because it now wakes me up at night when it pings. Also, sometimes the news flow is overwhelming. Especially, when it is filled with negative news as my feeds have been lately about the election it tends to make me sad or nervous. It feels like it is bringing my whole world to a stop at times. But, I must go on and I will trying to keep my head up and the negative news at bay.
Once again my slow cooker helped save me from buying take-out for dinner. It was a crazy busy day and my schedule was in turmoil. I had no idea what I was going to serve for dinner, which is rare for me, and couldn’t think of what to make. Then I remembered I had seen a recipe for Ranch Chicken tacos somewhere.
I didn’t have time to find the recipe but I decided to “just wing it” and see what happened. When we returned from dance at 8:20 pm my daughter stopped in the mud room and said, “I think I ‘ll just stand here for a while because it smells soooo good.” She was right. It smelled amazing. It was easy to then go in and have dinner. It didn’t feel like a chore because all we needed to do was take out the cheese, sour cream, lettuce, salsa and ranch dressing from the refrigerator. Heat up a few tortillas in the microwave and we were eating dinner!
I don’t know if the addition of the ranch dressing mix really changed the flavor as much as I thought it would but these were delicious! We like tacos anyway but these did seem extra flavorful. I am not sure if it was because we were super hungry or because the addition of the flavor packet.
I do have to say that this will definitely go into our repeat again pile!
Slow Cooker Ranch Tacos
- 1 1/2 to 2 lbs. chicken breast
- 1 dry packet of Hidden Valley Seasonings Ranch Dressing
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- dash of salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup water or chicken stock
- tortillas for serving
- toppings as desired such as: ranch dressing, sour cream, salsa, lettuce, tomato, onions, olives, etc….
- Place chicken breasts in bottom of the slow cooker. Sprinkle ranch packet and spices over the chicken. Add chicken stock or water to the bowl. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours until completely cooked through.
- Remove breasts from slow cooker and shred with two forks. Return chicken to slow cooker bowl and stir with any liquid left in the bowl. Taste and adjust spices as needed.
- Serve on tortillas or taco shells with desired toppings.