I didn’t get a chance to post about my son’s birthday dinner last week. This was what he really wanted for his birthday dinner, Pulled Pork Grilled Cheese. We first made this sandwich about 7 or 8 months ago at his urging and he waited until his birthday for me to make them again. They are his favorite sandwich!
I love that they are so simple to make especially since the pulled pork can be made a day or two ahead of time! I used my slow cooker to make the pork and then made the grilled cheese sandwich for his special dinner
He was very pleased with his meal. I have to admit they are very tasty and being that the meal is so simple I need to add it to our weekend lunch rotation once in a while.
My mostly gluten-free son had his sandwiches on gluten-free bread. His favorite gluten-free bread right now is from Aldi’s. I love it because it is less expensive than most gluten-free breads and he loves it because it is more like “real bread” according to him.
Pulled Pork Grilled Cheese
- 3 lbs. pork loin
- 1 1/2 cup + barbecue sauce, I used Sweet Baby Ray’s Honey Barbecue (our family favorite)
- 8-12 slices of bread, a thick hearty country bread or sour dough work best
- your choice of cheese for sandwiches – I prefer a mix of sharp cheddar, Colby Jack and a bit of mozzarella for that stringy effect
- Place pork loin in slow cooker. Pour 1/2 cup of barbecue sauce over the pork loin with 1/4 cup water. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Before making the grilled cheese remove the pork loin from the slow cooker. Pour off all the liquid in the slow cooker especially if your pork had some fat on it. Shred the pork with two forks and place it back in the slow cooker. Use 1 cup (more or less to taste) of barbecue sauce to mix in with the meat in the slow cooker.
- Butter one slice of bread and butter side down in a skillet. Place cheese and then pulled pork then more cheese on your bread. Top with a buttered slice of bread with butter side face up on top.
- Cook sandwich over medium heat, carefully flipping the sandwich when the bottom is golden brown. Allow both sides to cook to golden brown before removing to a plate. Serve with extra barbecue sauce on the side if desired.
- Repeat steps 3-4 until all sandwiches are made.