Ah, three more weeks. That is all we have left in this school year. Now that most of the shows are done we only have a dance recital (and its rehearsals), a cello recital and a school picnic left. Well, other than getting both kids through finals.
So, I am still having us sit down to dinner at least 5-6 nights a week. The weather is just starting to turn to warmer temperatures (I hope). The 50s and 60s should start going away to be replaced by 70s and 80s (please!). But, I still use my slow cooker all summer long. It doesn’t heat up the kitchen and we can play at the beach while dinner cooks.
This took a bit more work than some of my slow cooker meals but it was worth it.
Because I don’t use canned cream of something soups in most dishes (you can add canned soup instead of the canned soup substitute if you wish) it takes an extra 5 minutes or so to start this dish and an extra 5-10 minutes at the end to add the sauteed mushrooms and onions.
But, the extra time was well worth it. I have made this with canned soups and the canned soup substitute and my family far prefers the non-canned soup meal. It tends to be less salty tasting and has a much better flavor. But, do what works best for you and your family. Canned soup or not, the most important thing is getting your family to the table!
I served this with a side steamed broccoli and a green side salad.
Slow Cooker Chicken Stroganoff
Canned Soup Substitute:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup whole milk or 1/2 and 1/2
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions: (for Canned Soup Substitute)
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat melt the butter. Slowly whisk in the flour until it become thick. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the chicken stock and then the milk. Allow to cook until it becomes thick like gravy. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken breasts or tenders
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 oz. mushrooms, sliced (fresh not canned)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 – 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup sour cream
- Egg noodles, for serving if desired
- Spray slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Place chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker bowl.
- Mix garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, and pepper with canned soup substitute until well mixed.
- Pour over top of chicken. Cook on low 6-8 hours until chicken easily shreds or you can cut it in small bite sized pieces. Remove chicken to cut into pieces or shred with two forks right in the slow cooker. Return chicken to slow cooker.
- 30 minutes prior to serving – Sautee the onions in the olive oil until they start to turn translucent. Add the mushrooms and continue to sautee until they are just softened. Add the onion and mushroom mixture to the slow cooker and stir well.
- Add sour cream just prior to serving and mix well. If chicken mixture is too thick add chicken stock, a little bit at a time, until the consistency you desire is achieved.
- Boil noodles and serve chicken stroganoff over noodles if desired.