My children do not like mayonnaise potato salad. Once in a while I can get them to eat a bite or two if I add lots of eggs and mustard to it. When I saw this recipe I knew my children would like it. There is almost no mayonnaise in it. Plus, it had the added bonus of bacon. To them, heck to me, bacon is its own unique food group and just makes everything better!
I wish I could get a picture of how this salad tasted. I started with this recipe for Ranch Potato Salad from Fullcircle.com. (click for link to original recipe)
It was yummy! My potato salad hating kids each ate two huge helpings of this. It had a smoky bacon flavor with a bit of crunch from the celery and onion. There was one serving left for the next day and that was quickly claimed by my daughter for lunch.
We had this with hot dogs and three bean salad. It was a perfect start to summer.
Note: I used Hidden Valley Bacon Ranch Dressing when making this salad. We have found we far prefer this brand to most other brands of Ranch dressing. Use your favorite. No, I do not receive anything from them for using their brand nor do I have any connection to the company. I truly prefer their brand. Plus they have a BACON flavored Ranch Dressing. How great is that?
Bacon Ranch Potato Salad
- 2 1/2 pounds small potatoes, cut into 1/4 th or 1/8 ths
- 1 1/2 cups Hidden Valley Bacon ranch dressing
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 8 oz. cooked and crumbled bacon
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, thinly sliced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Boil potatoes for about 20 minutes. To test potatoes stick a fork in the center of the largest potato, if fork slides out easily, potatoes are done cooking.
- Drain potatoes and place in a large bowl.
- Allow potatoes to cool. Place all ingredients in bowl with potatoes. As you are stirring all ingredients together use the side of a spoon or a butter knife to cut any large chunks of potatoes down to smaller sizes. They should easily break apart.
- Once all ingredients are mixed together well serve immediately or refrigerate covered until ready to serve.