This past weekend my partner and I had to go to two different places for the weekend. My daughter and I headed to a Feis (Irish dance competition) in Detroit, MI while my partner and son headed to Rochester, NY for a family baby shower. Both weekends were crazy so meals are going to be real simple for a few days as we are not only exhausted from the weekend but it also the last week of school. We just need to get through 5 more days!
When I asked my daughter if she would like Cheesy Sloppy Joe Stuffed Potatoes for dinner it was a resounding yes. I thought these would be a simple and inexpensive dinner using some of the ground beef that was on sale for $1.99 a pound last week and the potatoes that were on sale.
These were so good! The tang of the Sloppy Joes with the baked potato and cheese was delicious! They were easy to make and the longest part of the preparation was baking the potatoes.
We thought these would also be great as a little bite at a football party too. Make them with small red potatoes that you scoop the center out of and they could be eaten in one bite! Yum!!!
I served these with a green side salad.
Cheesy Sloppy Joe Stuffed Baked Potatoes
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 1/2 cups ketchup
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 6-8 large baking potatoes
- sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Brown ground beef until almost done in a large skillet over medium heat. Break ground beef into small pieces as it is cooking.
- Drain off any fat from the pan and add onion and peppers to the pan. Cook stirring occasionally until peppers are softened and onions start to turn translucent.
- Add rest of ingredients to the pan and stir. Cook for 15 -20 minutes until all ingredients are well combined and heated through. Taste and adjust spices as necessary.
- Bake the potatoes until the centers are fork tender.
- When potatoes are done remove from oven and allow to cool a bit.
- Slice the top 1/4 of the potato off horizontally. With a teaspoon scoop out the center leaving a bit around the edges and bottom to retain the shape of the potato.
- Fill the area that you scooped out with the sloppy joe mix. Place potatoes on baking sheet.
- Cover with some of the shredded cheese.
- Return to oven for about 10 minutes or until bubbly and cheese has melted.
- Remove from oven and serve.