Last night was definitely a comfort food night. Even though summer is just a few weeks away the temperatures have dropped just a bit and there was a slight breeze. It was still nice out but it almost had a fall feel to the day. This was the first night we were all home together in four days so I wanted to make a fairly nice dinner for us.
Let me correct that. I wanted to make a nice, hearty dinner that was easy to put together.
This is the perfect comfort food. It was creamy and simple. I chose not to add extra garlic or spices other than a simple Morton’s Nature’s Seasoning, salt and pepper. Both kids ate two bowls for dinner and my son had leftovers today in his lunch.
Serve this with a green side salad and it is a great meal.
Creamy Chicken Noodle Casserole
- 1 stick butter
- 3/4 cup less 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups heavy cream or 1/2 and 1/2 (I used fat-free 1/2 and 1/2 with no problem)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken breasts, precooked and cubed (can be cooked however you choose or use a rotisserie chicken)
- 1 (16 oz) bag frozen mixed vegetables, partially thawed in refrigerator
- 1 (12 oz) bag of Egg Noodles, cooked according to package directions – I used Amish Kitchens Extra Wide
- 1 teaspoon + Morton’s Nature’s Seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 13 x 9 casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- In a saucepan over medium heat melt the butter.
- Whisk in the flour until a thick paste is formed. Let cook 1-2 minutes until bubbly.
- Slowly whisk in the chicken stock. Let it come to a thickened state and then slowly whisk in the milk. Heat and whisk until desired consistency is reached. You want it to be a really thick gravy consistency. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- In a large bowl mix cooked noodles, cubed chicken, vegetables, cream sauce and seasoning until well blended. Taste and adjust spices to your liking.
- Pour mixture into casserole dish and bake for 20 minutes until heated through.
- Remove casserole from oven and serve hot.