Last night was my son’s last cello recital for the school year. All the students did a great job. It was a short program so we were home by 8:00 pm. During the summer we eat even later than normal. The sun doesn’t set until about 9:30 pm so we tend to be out and about much later.
I made the chicken part of this dish in the slow cooker. It cooked all day while I was running back and forth to school trying to return items my son forgot – IPad charger, computer cord…. Then we had to look for his sweatshirt that he needs for camp. You KNOW it wasn’t in the lost and found where I told him to look for a month. (sarcasm).
But when we got home I was able to slowly finish dinner and it was so easy to put together! This would be great during the school year too because the tortillas cook quickly and everything else can be cut up and ready ahead of dinner.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tostadas
- 1 – 1 1/2 lbs. chicken breast
- 1 heaping tablespoon chili powder
- 1 heaping teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper, more or less to taste
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 8-12 6″ corn tortillas
- oil for frying (vegetable, peanut or canola your choice)
- toppings as desired: lettuce, salsa, sour cream, cheese, olives, onions, tomatoes, taco sauce, hot sauce, etc….
- Place chicken breasts and chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder and Cayenne pepper in slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Shred chicken just prior to serving. Taste chicken and add salt, pepper and spices as desired.
- To fry tostadas place about 1/4″ of oil in a small skillet. Fry tortillas one at a time until slightly brown and crispy on both sides. If they are not crispy they will be too chewy and not as good. Place fried tostadas in a 170 degree oven to keep warm while frying the rest.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker with a slotted spoon and serve on top of tortillas. Serve with choice of toppings.