You know I am all about saving time making dinners. This was one of those times when I could cook all the meat at once and make two meals out of it. The first one was the Pizza Sloppy Joes and the second meal was an Unstuffed Pepper Casserole. It was great to have two meals done at once!
Tip: Meat shown below is for this meal only. If you want to make both dinners at once double the meat and cook it in the same pan. Remove half and set aside for casserole.
My kids loved the Pizza Sloppy Joes. Using a mix of Italian Sausage, lean ground beef, and turkey sausage helped to keep down the grease in the meat a bit. The flavors were not lacking and I think next time I may even try substituting lean ground turkey for the ground beef.
You can make your own pizza sauce using homemade spaghetti sauce or use jarred spaghetti sauce. I HIGHLY suggest doctoring the sauces with dried oregano, powdered garlic, and powdered onion to taste. Pizza sauce generally has a bit more oregano in it than spaghetti sauce.
I served this with corn and a green salad for our dinner.
Pizza Sloppy Joes
- 1 lb. Italian Sausage, bulk or removed from casings
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 4 oz. pepperoni (I used turkey pepperoni – so it was less greasy) quartered or halved if desired
- 2 cups pizza sauce
- mozzarella cheese for topping
- 8 hamburger rolls, toasted
- other pizza toppings as desired – mushrooms, peppers, olives, etc….
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet over medium heat cook sausage and beef breaking the meat into small pieces with the side of a spoon. Once it has fully cooked remove any grease from the pan.
- Add pepperoni and pizza sauce to the pan. Heat through.
- Place the toasted bottoms of the rolls on a rimmed baking sheet. Divide meat and sauce over rolls. Add any other toppings you may wish and top with Mozzarella cheese. Place in the oven for 8-10 minutes until cheese has melted and toppings are warm.
- Serve with bun top.