So, yesterday I said I cooked all the meat for two dinners. I took one half of the ground beef and Italian sausage mixture and I used it to make Pizza Sloppy Joes (click for link to recipe). While that was cooking that meal I made an Unstuffed Pepper Casserole. It was great because when we my family got home I had made dinner the previous night so it just needed to be put in the oven to warm.
I unfortunately don’t have a picture of this dish. I think this is a first! I normally take a picture of my plate as we are sitting down to eat but as I was out when everyone else ate I totally forgot to take a picture! It was a simple rice casserole but it was nice having the meal ready for my family even when I couldn’t be there with them.
This was a hearty and filling casserole. I made it as a casserole instead of stuffed peppers because we don’t always like so much pepper with our dish and I end up throwing away some peppers and they are expensive! So rather than give each person a whole pepper I diced them into the dish and it allowed the peppers to not be so overpowering for those of us who aren’t huge fans of peppers.
I used brown rice in this recipe and my daughter didn’t seem to mind it as much as she usually does. I used chicken stock and lots of spices to make it flavorful for her.
I served this dish with a side of mixed vegetables.
Italian Sausage Stuffed Peppers
- 2 large peppers, seeded and diced (your choice of color)
- 1 1/2 cup brown rice, cooked according to package instructions substituting chicken stock for water
- 1 lb. Italian sausage, bulk or removed from casing
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 (16 oz) cans petite diced tomatoes
- 1 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced finely
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9 x 13 casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Begin cooking rice according to package directions substituting chicken stock for water. If you don’t have chicken stock just use water but this adds more flavor to the rice and the dish.
- In a skillet over medium heat begin cooking the Italian sausage and ground beef. Break it up into small pieces as it is cooking with the side of your spoon.
- Once the meat is fully cooked remove it from the skillet to clean paper towels using a slotted spoon leaving about a tablespoon of the grease in the pan. Add onions, peppers, garlic and celery to the pan and cook until onions begin to turn translucent 5-7 minutes. Stir well scrapping up the brown stuff on the bottom of the pan.
- Once rice is cooked stir the sausage, onion and pepper mixture, cans of tomatoes, salt, pepper, cumin and onion powder into the rice. Stir until all is well incorporated. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Once mixture is well combined place in casserole dish. Spread evenly in the dish. Sprinkle the top with cheese.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until mixture has warmed through in the center. If cooking from the refrigerator may take up to 40 minutes to warm through.