I thought my carefully planned system failed me. This dinner was supposed to be chicken breasts. It is obviously not chicken breasts. I had a huge package of chicken breasts in the refrigerator that I bought the other day. I asked my son to go get the chicken from the fridge and when he opened the door he told me there was no chicken in the refrigerator. What? I know there is a huge tray of 8-10 pounds. No. No chicken in the refrigerator.
It was in the freezer. My partner was helping and saw that the meat needed to be wrapped and frozen so she put it away before she went to work. Ooops. So it is 6:00 pm and I needed a dinner, now. Open fridge and freezer and begin a scavenger hunt. Hot dogs, bacon, barbecue sauce and cheddar cheese! It is a meal.
So, we didn’t order out, we had dinner together and it was easy to make. So, even though it wasn’t what I had planned the system didn’t fall entirely apart. I had the ingredients on hand to make something else. We had dinner on the table within 35 minutes. The kids were happy because it was hot dogs. They kept saying we haven’t had hot dogs in forever so they were happy too.
I served this meal with french fries and brown beans.
Bacon Barbecue Hot Dogs with Cheddar Cheese
- 1 package of your favorite hot dogs
- 12 oz. package of bacon
- barbecue sauce
- cheddar cheese
- hot dog rolls
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lay bacon on a RIMMED baking sheet (not a cookie sheet – or your oven will fill with grease) lined with parchment paper.
- Bake bacon for 5 minutes. The fat will just be starting to render from the hot dogs.
- Remove baking sheet from oven. Wrap each hot dog with one strip of bacon securing each end with a toothpick.Return hot dogs covered in bacon to baking sheet.
- Once all hot dogs are wrapped in bacon return pan to oven for 6-10 minutes. Bacon will be cooked and hot dogs should be warmed through.
- Remove pan from oven and transfer hot dogs to a paper towel lined plate to blot grease.
- Place each hot dog in a roll with cheddar cheese and brush or drizzle barbecue sauce over the top to serve.