Mediterranean flavors are one of my family’s favorite flavors. The brightness of the lemon, the tang of the garlic and the spiciness of the oregano all combined together are delicious. I am generally not a fan of drumsticks and thighs but our supermarket had them on sale recently for $.49 a pound. I bought about 20 pounds of them. I am not going to pass up a sale like that on meat. I will figured I would find a way to use them so that we will all eat the thighs and drumsticks.
The perfect occasion arose the other night when I had some time to marinade the chicken mid-day and mix together the rice and take the time to give it a quick browning.
This is a flavorful dish that is super simple to make. I used long grain brown rice in making this dish. My daughter is NOT a fan of rice but even she ate some of this. The meat was juicy and perfectly cooked.
I served this with a side of steamed broccoli and a green side salad.
Tip: You can use chicken breasts or skinless thighs and drumsticks but the meat and dish will not be as juicy and flavorful. If you prefer your meat skinless I cooked the dish with the skin intact and then everyone just stripped the skin off the meat before eating it.
Mediterranean Chicken and Rice
- 2 lbs. drumstick or thighs
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, zest from two lemons
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- sprinkle of salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups long grain brown rice
- 2 3/4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil for frying onions and chicken
- Mix chicken, lemon juice, lemon zest,oregano, garlic and salt in a Ziploc bag at least 1 hour prior to making dish.
- When ready to cook chicken and rice preheat oven to 350 degrees. Have a 13 x 9 casserole dish ready to make the dish.
- In casserole dish mix rice, chicken stock, dried oregano and salt and pepper until well blended.
- In a skillet over medium heat cook onion with 1 tablespoon of oil until it starts to turn translucent. Add 2 cloves of minced garlic and allow it to cook for 1-2 minutes until it becomes fragrant.
- Scrape the onions and garlic into the rice and stir.
- Return skillet to stove top and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Allow oil to heat before adding chicken a few piece at a time. Brown the chicken on both sides 3-4 minutes per side. Once the chicken is browned place it on top of the rice.
- Once all the chicken has been cooked place the rest of the marinade in the skillet and simmer for a few minutes before pouring it over the chicken.
- Cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove the foil and allow to bake for 10-15 more minutes until the rice and chicken fully cooked.
- Remove dish from oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.