My son likes spicy dishes. We all love Buffalo chicken, but in varying versions of heat. One of the nice things about this dish is that you can vary the hotness of the dish. We generally go for a mid-range medium but my son can then spice his dish up with one of the variety of hot sauces he keeps stashed away.
This dish took two tries to get it right. The first time the French fries were not cooked enough. Cooking the French fries just a bit before adding the toppings was the right choice. This was my son’s suggestion and he was right. He is my greatest supporter in making different meals each night and also my greatest critic.
This was a nice simple dish. I HIGHLY encourage you to customize it and make it your own. Don’t like onions? Maybe add diced carrots instead to give it some crunchy texture. Add crumbled bleu cheese to the top when it is done. Or extra green onions. Whatever makes it great for your family!
I served this with a green side salad to complete the meal.
Buffalo Chicken French Fry Casserole
- 1 (32 oz) bag frozen French fries (I used Ore Ida Golden Crinkle Cut – because that is what my family likes)
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 3 cups cooked chicken, cut into bite size pieces
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted (more for a milder sauce)
- 1 cup hot sauce (less for a milder sauce)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- fried onions for topping
- Blue cheese dressing, Ranch dressing, Bleu cheese crumbles, green onions, etc… for serving, if desired
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake French fries for 15 minutes to allow them to start heating through.
- While fries are cooking mix chicken, melted butter, hot sauce and garlic powder together. Taste and adjust to desired spiciness.
- Remove French fries from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Mix sour cream and French fries together. Place fries in the bottom of a 13 x 9 prepared casserole dish.
- Sprinkle chicken in sauce over the top of the French fries. Then onion and celery over the chicken. Top with shredded cheese and then fried onions.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until cheese has melted and chicken has warmed through.
- Remove pan from oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve topped with extra hot sauce, dressing or cheese, as desired.