I’m back! I took a four-day break while we were at a double Feis (Irish dance competition) this weekend. I pretty much post in real-time so I normally would have tried to get a post or two together on the road but I decided to just be with my family and take a social media break. I was on Facebook but no blog, Twitter, Instagram, etc…. I was present with my family and friends. We had a wonderful weekend. My daughter got her first 1st place in Open Horn Pipe (a hard shoe dance). She has been struggling the last couple months with placing so this really boosted her confidence. She slept with her trophy right next to her head. This will give her a good boost in confidence for a while.
This was our dinner just before we left for the weekend. As I was reading about the Frito Burrito online I thought that it was something my kids might think of as a fun dinner. But, they are not big rice fans so I left that off and created our version of a Cheesy Chicken Frito Burrito.
The best part of this was that most of it was made while I was working during the day. I put the chicken, tomatoes and spices in the slow cooker and let that cook all day while we were gone. When we got home for dinner it was putting out some toppings for us each to choose from to make our own burrito and we were all happy!
Choices for toppings: onions, tomatoes, rice, cheese, sour cream, taco sauce, salsa, olives, jalapeno, etc…
This was so much better than I thought it would be. I thought my kids would like it and I would tolerate it but in the end I really liked the additional crunch in the burrito. It gave it some extra texture and just a hint of saltiness that was perfect! The kids loved that they could add toppings as they liked and I loved that it was so easy!
I served this with a green side salad to complete the meal.
Cheesy Chicken Frito Burrito
- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken breasts
- 1 (28 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (we like it full flavored – use more or less to your taste)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- cayenne powder – to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Large flour burrito tortillas
- toppings of choice: sour cream, taco sauce, salsa, rice, cheese, tomatoes, onions, diced peppers….
- Place chicken in bottom of slow cooker. Pour tomatoes over chicken and sprinkle with chili powder, garlic, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Cook for 6-8 hours on low.
- When ready to make warm tortillas, as directed on package. Shred chicken with two forks. Place lots of cheese on the tortilla and top with hot chicken. Add toppings as desired. Fold both ends in and roll to complete.