I am thankful that my family loves soups for dinner. Soups are such as this are such an easy meal that can cook in a slow cooker while you are busy. Just a few additional ingredients just before serving and you have a delicious homemade dish to serve your family.
As my daughter and I were making this she made the comment that the toughest part of the making the soup was dicing the potatoes. This was when I had one of those slap my head moments. I have a French fry cutter. Put the potatoes through the cutter and then dice the strips. So much easier that cutting each potato into 9 slices and then dicing. One push and the potato is sliced for me! Why didn’t I think of this before?
I served this meal with a side salad and a loaf of Garlic Parmesan Focaccia.
Slow Cooker Simple Ham & Potato Chowder
- 1 lb. ham steak or turkey ham, diced
- 2 1/2 – 3 lbs. potatoes, diced
- 32 oz. chicken stock
- 1 medium onion, diced
- black pepper to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Add ham, potatoes, chicken stock, and black pepper to slow cooker bowl. Cook for 4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.
- Half an hour before serving add cream. Make a slurry of cornstarch and cold water. Once cornstarch is dissolved in water add to slow cooker and stir well. Cover and cook for 15 – 20 minutes. If soup is not as thick as you would like add an additional 1 tablespoon of cold water and 1 tablespoon of cornstarch slurry. Taste before serving and add black pepper as needed.