The kids and I are insanely jealous because my wife is in Orlando, Florida at a conference. It wouldn’t be so bad if she didn’t get to go to Epcot the other day and were not staying right next to Walt Disney World, our favorite vacation spot. She was at Epcot for the last day of the Food & Wine Festival so that made us even a bit more jealous. Plus they have a chance to go to Islands of Adventure in Universal Studios this week so she better come back with good souvenirs for all of us!
To make her time away even more special for us it was very late when we finished dinner so I had the kids fill the dishwasher and leave all the pots and pans in the sink for the next morning. We were sitting in the living room about 10:30 pm when we heard a noise from the kitchen. I assumed a pan had shifted and the water I heard slosh was from a pan of water the kids put in the sink. We went upstairs to bed never thinking again about it until my daughter came in at 12:30 am. The sink had fallen out from underneath the granite counter top. This happened before several years ago and we thought we got it fixed I guess not.
So, the next 72 hours or so will be spent with no sink in the kitchen. You never think about how much you use your sink until it isn’t there. They are calling a granite counter top installer to see if they can fix the sink better this time.
But, the kotopoulo lemonato (Greek Lemon Chicken) was made before the sink fell so at least we got to enjoy that!
My daughter said she wanted to take the sauce from the bottom of the pan and just drink it. It was so good. Lemony, spicy and a bit salty from the Feta it was delicious. Spoon the sauce over the potatoes and chicken and you have super, easy, amazing dinner!
Normally I would make this recipe with a cut-up chicken or even chicken breasts but I had chicken drumsticks thawing in the refrigerator, so chicken drumsticks it was. Use whatever chicken part you like in making the dish just be aware that the cooking time may vary.
I served this meal with green beans and a green side salad.
- 2 lbs. chicken (cut up, breasts sliced, thighs or drumsticks)
- 6 – 7 large potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice, 1 – 1 1/2 lemons
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sprinkle chicken with black pepper. Place in the bottom of a large casserole dish. Tuck potato pieces around the chicken.
- Pour olive oil, chicken stock and lemon juice over the chicken. Sprinkle the chicken and potatoes with garlic and oregano. Cover pan with aluminum foil. Bake for 50 minutes.
- Remove aluminum foil from pan and sprinkle feta over the top of the chicken and potatoes. Spoon sauce from bottom of the pan over the chicken and potatoes. Return pan to oven for 20-40 minutes (depending on type of chicken you are using and thickness). Once chicken has cooked through and potatoes are done if you wish to brown it some place pan under the broiler for 1-3 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove pan from oven. Allow to rest 5 minutes before serving.