I am aware that many people are starting all sorts of new diets and I am trying to keep that in mind as I am cooking this month. As I was making this dish I thought of how if you were cutting carbs you could leave out the pasta and serve it over greens as a salad or a baked sweet potato. Cutting out dairy? Leave out the cream cheese. It will still be delicious just not creamy. There are many ways to make the recipes into what you need.
As for us? We are still trying to get more fruits and vegetables in our diet. I am making sure that our salads with dinner are packed with spinach, red peppers, carrot slices, mushrooms, and cucumbers.
I don’t know why I have never made this before. It was super simple and had a great flavor that you can adjust the spiciness of by adding more or less Paprika and Red Pepper. Not spicy enough? Add a dash of hot sauce.
The sauce was creamy enough to stick to the pasta and my son claimed the leftovers for lunch today.
I served this with a salad to complete the meal.
Slow Cooker Creamy Taco Pasta
- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken breast, boneless and skinless
- 1 (8 oz) package of cream cheese
- 1 (16 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (16 oz) can corn, drained
- 1 (26 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 16 oz. pasta, cooked according to package directions
- shredded cheddar cheese for topping, if desired
- Place all ingredients in slow cooker except for cheddar cheese and pasta. Mix well and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Shred chicken and stir well. Taste and adjust spices as necessary. If you would prefer a thinner sauce add chicken stock to thin.
- Prepare pasta and drain. Add to slow cooker and stir well. Top with cheddar cheese if desired.