There was a restaurant back in Rochester, New York that we used to call for breakfast pizzas to be made for special occasions. We had them for teacher recognition breakfasts, family brunches and sleepover breakfasts. Since we moved we have not found anything similar.
I have thought about making them several times over the years but never got around to doing it. Finally we decided on having brunch this weekend so it was the perfect time to try making a breakfast pizza.
I should have done this before! It was simple and delicious. Both kids liked it with just the cheese, egg and bacon but next time I would like to do half with diced red peppers and onions on it. I think it would add a bit more depth of flavor. You could add mushrooms, broccoli, olives, or what ever pizza toppings you would like.
This would be great to serve for a brunch or a sleepover breakfast for hungry teens.
Bacon, Egg & Cheese Breakfast Pizza
- 1 lb. ball of dough (homemade or store-bought)
- 12 oz. bacon, cooked to crispy and crumbled
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup half and half (fat-free is fine)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- other toppings as desired: breakfast sausage, peppers, onions, olives, tomatoes, etc…
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- On an extra-large pizza stone or greased pan stretch the dough to a medium-thin crust. Build a lip around the edge of the pizza to hold the eggs in when you pour them in.
- Place pizza in the oven for about 5 minutes to set the crust.
- Remove pizza from oven. Sprinkle center of crust with mozzarella cheese.
- In a bowl beat together eggs and half and half until well blended. Pour onto the center of the crust and using a spoon distribute evenly to the lip.
- Sprinkle top with cheddar cheese and bacon.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes (depending on the thickness of your crust) until top is cooked through and starting to brown and crust is golden on the bottom.
- Remove from oven and allow to pizza to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.