I hate wasting food so I try to use up as many leftovers as possible. Often they are used for lunch the next day but I had other plans for the spare ribs. I love the combination of barbecue sauce, cheddar cheese, and smashed potatoes. I knew I wanted to make this casserole for dinner.
It was super simple having plenty of leftovers, planned from the Slow Cooker Coca-Cola Ribs, (click for link to recipe) from the other day. I made a 1 1/2 batch of the ribs to have plenty of leftovers. I added homemade mashed potatoes with sour cream, butter, and garlic but you could use boxed or packaged potatoes and doctor them up with some spices if you like.
This was a hit. The pan was basically licked clean. The cheese over the top of the potatoes made this dish over the top wonderful!
I served this with sides of cut carrots and green beans.
Spare Rib Casserole
- 3-4 cup leftover spare ribs in barbecue sauce, I removed the meat from the bones and gave it a rough chop
- 4 cups mashed potatoes (I used 6 large potatoes boiled with skins on, butter, sour cream, garlic powder, and black pepper to taste)
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Extra barbecue sauce for serving if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9″ x 13″ dish (or 8×8 if you want it really thick) with non-stick spray.
- Spread spare ribs and sauce in the bottom of the pan. Cover with mashed potato layer. Then sprinkle cheese over the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until center is completely hot and cheese is bubbly and melted.
- Remove pan from oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.