I admit it. I am not a big desserts fan. Oh, I love a good piece of chocolate cake or dark chocolate candy from time to time but overall I’d rather have a bowl of mashed potatoes or an extra piece of meatloaf than dessert.
But, the rest of my family loves dessert. I don’t think there is a pie, cake or brownie they won’t try. They had family sized brownie mixes on sale a few weeks ago so I bought several and asked my daughter to make some of the brownies they recommend on the website for us to try.
Three of the four of us loved these brownies. I was the lone holdout. They were “good” but not something I would go out of my way to have again. The pretzels just didn’t do it for me. I liked the brownies and the caramel but the pretzels were “meh” in my opinion. The rest of my family ate half the pan before bedtime. So, maybe I am wrong.
These were simple to make and my daughter did say she would crush the pretzels next time and mix them into the batter rather than leave them whole. That was her experiment and she thinks they are better in small pieces so you get bits of the pretzels in each bite instead of one chunk of pretzel.
Salted Caramel Pretzel Brownies
- 1 large Family Sized homemade brownies or mix (9″ x 13″ pan plus ingredients to make brownies according to recipe or package)
- 1 1/4 cup pretzels (broken – to mix in or whole – to make decorative)
- 1 (14oz) bag caramels, unwrapped or a thick caramel ice cream sauce
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon milk
- large coarse salt
- Prepare brownie mix according to package directions or recipe. If using broken pretzels stir into batter at this point.
- If using whole pretzels pour 1/3 of batter into bottom of pan and spread evenly. Layer pretzels over brownie mix using a double layer (one with loops pointed right then one layer with loops pointed left). Spoon rest of batter over brownies to cover. If using broken pretzels just pour batter into pan.
- Bake according to package directions then cool completely.
- Place caramels, butter and milk in a microwave safe bowl. Heat on high for 2-3 minutes stirring ever 30 seconds or so until melted and smooth. (If using caramel sauce just warm to pour and pour over brownies.)
- Pour caramel over brownies. Sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Allow to set until cool. Then cut and serve.