Things in our house have been hectic so I am trying to use my slow cooker as often as possible. I don’t always care for meat cooked in the slow cooker as they easily overcook (like when I forget to set the timer and they cook for 10-12 hours) and though they are edible they fall apart and can be stringy or dry. I have finally found the secret is generally closer to 6 hours on low for pork chops and thinner chicken breasts. Use your slow cooker timer, if yours has one to switch from cook to keep warm and your meat thermometer and check the temperature of the meat. You will be glad you did!
Can you believe Spring is finally here? I came out of a meeting the other night and usually I walk out into the hallway and look outside into the dark evening at 6:30 pm but it was still light out. I yelped in delight and said, “Oh, it is still daylight out!” I am so excited for Spring!
I will admit when I first saw this recipe I thought from Key Ingredient for Slow Cooker Pork Chops & Sauerkraut (click for link to original recipe) I thought it sounded good but “different.” Of course I didn’t make it according to the recipe because just as I encourage you to do I have to make it my own for my family.
My family loved this. We all were skeptical with the apple in it but it added a nice texture and bit of flavor to the dish. Everyone had seconds and said they would definitely like to have this again. That is a hit in our house!
I served this with a choice or mashed potatoes or pasta and a green vegetable to complete the meal. This meal would be fine too with just two vegetable sides if you want to skip the starchy mashed potatoes or pasta.
Slow Cooker Pork Chops with Sauerkraut and Apples
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs pork chops thick cut (bone in or boneless)
- 1 (32 oz) jar sauerkraut, drained
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- black pepper
- 1-2 large apples, cored and rough chopped
- mashed potatoes or pasta for serving, if desired
- Mix together sauerkraut, brown sugar, chicken stock, black pepper, and apples in a large bowl. Place 1/2 of the mixture in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Place pork chops on top of sauerkraut mixture. Cover chops with rest of sauerkraut.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours. Stir once or twice during cooking if possible.
- Serve hot on top of pasta or mashed potatoes.