All this traveling has really thrown me off my menu planning. I had to sit down last night with my calendar and a grocery list. We went through the pantry in the basement to see where we were with our groceries. We have been trying to eat as much as possible out of the pantry and buy as little as possible for groceries to have money to travel with. Since it has been about 3 weeks since I have done meal planning I am not as in touch with what we have on hand right now. So, it is back to making a pantry list, a freezer list, and a refrigerator list so I can see exactly what we have and where my holes are so I am not overbuying groceries (still trying to save money!).
So, what is my menu for the week?
Monday – Beefy Burrito Casserole with a side salad and broccoli
Tuesday – Whole Chicken Baked with Speedie Sauce
Wednesday – Homemade Black Bean Burgers with Sweet Potato Fries and creamy Cesar Mayo
Thursday – Slow Cooker Veggie Sauce with Spaghetti
Friday – Science Olympiad Competition
Have you made your menu for the week? Anything really good you will share?
We have never had white barbecue sauce. I Googled it to see what it was and found tons of recipes, pictures, and ideas of what it was. I was a bit skeptical with the prepared horseradish and Cayenne pepper but I thought why not try it?
I am so glad we did. Every bite someone was saying, “This is soooo good!” The horseradish was just enough to add a bit of spice but the mayonnaise cut it enough to not make it overpowering. Once we mixed the chicken, cheese, onions, and sauce together it was amazing!
Serve this with a nice green salad to complete your meal if you like.
White Barbecue Chicken Sandwich
- 1 cup mayonnaise (the real stuff NOT spread)
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown mustard
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons horseradish, prepared from a jar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2-2 lbs. chicken breast, pounded down to 1″
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 loaf French bread
- 8 oz Colby-Jack cheese, shredded
- Mix all sauce ingredients in a medium bowl until well blended. Taste and adjust spices as necessary – you want it a bit spicy as the chicken, cheese, and onion will be mixed in later and cut down the spiciness a bit. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- In sauce pan add 1 tablespoon oil and chicken. Cook over medium heat until completely cooked through. Remove chicken from pan to plate to cool.
- While chicken is cooling add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to pan with onions. Turn heat down to medium-low and cook onions until they become wilted and slightly browning (about 15 – 20 minutes). Remove onions from heat.
- Cut chicken into small bite size pieces in a bowl. Add 1/2+ cups of sauce to chicken and mix until well combined. Add onion and cheese to the mixture and stir well.
- Cut French bread in center of loaf with a V pattern. Remove bread and some of the surrounding inside bread from the loaf to make a hollow to stuff with the chicken mixture.
- Turn oven onto broil and cover a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Place bread on prepared baking sheet and add chicken mixture to the bread and sprinkle with a bit of extra cheese if desired.
- Place sandwich under broiler until cheese has melted about 2 minutes or so. Watch it carefully as it can go from golden to burnt very quickly.
- Remove pan from oven. Allow sandwich to cool slightly before slicing as desire.