Well, onto dinner last night. This would make a delicious simple dish if you are looking for something with lots of flavor to serve this weekend. This dish smelled amazing as soon as we started cooking the chicken. I have been planning several days for this dinner. I had to rearrange my meals a bit this week as when I went to cook the chicken on Monday night it was still frozen solid, hence the Breakfast Pesto Pizza (click for link to recipe).
I couldn’t cook the chicken on Tuesday because Tuesday has to be a slow cooker meal for everyone to eat at different times – Slow Cooker Tacos with Easy Pickled Onions (click for link to recipe). So, last night I could finally cook the chicken. Just for your information Thursday’s meal is a Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons.
This was a hit! Everyone loved the flavors, though my daughter did squeeze a bit of extra lemon over hers, the herbed flavor with just enough lemon to bring out the brightness was delicious over the chicken and rice. This dish would also be delicious with pasta or mashed potatoes.
My mostly gluten-free son ate two big servings and took the leftovers to school for lunch today.
I served this with asparagus and a green side salad.
Creamy Herbed Lemon Chicken
- 8 chicken thighs and/or drumsticks, bone-in and skin-on
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- zest of one large lemon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- 1 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- juice of one large lemon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix olive oil, mustard, lemon zest, thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper together in a bowl.
- Place butter in skillet over medium heat to melt. Rub chicken with mustard mixture, coating all sides.
- Place chicken in skillet, skin side down. Cook 3-4 minutes per side until chicken skin is browning.
- Remove chicken from pan. Drain all but 2 tablespoons of grease from the pan. Return pan to burner.
- Add garlic and red pepper flakes to the pan. Saute’ 1-2 minutes until it is fragrant. Add chicken stock, cream, lemon juice, basil, salt, and pepper to pan. Bring to a light boil. Allow to simmer for about 8-9 minutes until sauce starts to thicken slightly.
- Return chicken to the sauce pan. Place pan in oven for 30-40 minutes, depending on the size of your chicken pieces. Use a meat thermometer to check temperature as it should be about 165. Be careful not to hit a bone when taking the temperature.
- Remove pan from oven serve over rice, pasta, or potatoes if desired. Pour sauce over dish before serving.