Looking for a dish that can cook while you are on the beach this summer? This is a simple dish to make using your slow cooker. Prepare your toppings before you leave and store them in little bowls in your refrigerator so that when you come home all you need to do is a few minutes of broiling the meat and set out the “toppings bar” for your family!
Carnitas, literally meaning “little meats,” is usually pork simmered until it is tender. It is then pulled apart and oven roasted until it is slightly crisp. In this case we didn’t have pork so I substituted chicken breasts. Chicken and ground beef are both on sale quite often in our area right now so most of my meals are going to have one or both of those in it for a while.
My family loved this dish and it was so simple! Want a little bit more spice? Add some hot sauce over the meat as you plate your meal.
Serve this with a big side salad and you have a simple meal that is ready when you are.
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs. chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- salt and black pepper
- 8 oz beer (or chicken stock)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Juice of one large lime
- Corn tortillas
- Choice of toppings such as: salsas, sour cream, olives, onions, etc….
- Place chicken in bottom of slow cooker. Sprinkle with cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Pour beer and chicken stock over the top. Sprinkle the onion and garlic over the chicken and stir well to mix.
- Cook on low for 6 hours or on high 3-4 hours. Once chicken is cooked through use two forks to shred the chicken.
- Cover a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Using a slotted spoon remove chicken from slow cooker. Place under broiler for 4 minutes. Remove pan from oven and add 1/2 cup of liquid from slow cooker to pan. Stir well. Place pan back under broiler for 3 minutes. Repeat using another 1/2 cup of liquid and placing under broiler. Remove pan after the third time broiling and squeeze the lime juice over the chicken.
- Serve on corn tortillas with toppings as desired.