Some days you just want comfort food that is easy. This was perfect for us. I didn’t get a picture of it with fresh basil sprinkled over the top so use your imagination. It had lots of flavor from the Italian sausage, basil, and Parmesan cheese. Super simple too!
This is a meal I would makeover and over again. I may bulk up the sauce a bit but the flavors were perfect and using freshly grated Parmesan cheese is the secret. Don’t use the green can stuff. Buy a small block of Parmesan and grate or shred it yourself you will never use the green can cheese again!
Serve this with a green salad and a vegetable for a complete meal.
Creamy Basil Pasta
- 1 (16 oz) box of pasta, cooked to al dente according to package directions
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs. Italian Sausage, bulk or removed from casings
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups half and half
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- fresh basil, chiffonade cut – for serving
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- Cook onions, garlic, and Italian sausage in a large skillet over medium heat breaking sausage into small bites as it cooks. Drain off any excess fat once the sausage is cooked through. Remove meat and onions from pan to bowl nearby.
- Begin cooking pasta according to package directions. Drain when cooked through.
- Wipe out skillet with paper towels. Add chicken stock, half and half, flour, basil, oregano, marjoram to pan. Bring to a slow simmer over medium heat stirring whisking to avoid lumps. Simmer for 15 minutes until sauce starts to thicken a bit.
- Remove sauce from heat and stir in Parmesan cheese, Italian Sausage with onions and garlic, and pasta. Taste. Add salt, pepper and spices as needed.
- Serve hot with fresh basil and Parmesan cheese sprinkled over the top.